Tuesday 8 March 2016

English Story with a "believable" character


            I am alone. This is not the first time in this situation. When I was five, my father had left my mother for some other woman halfway across the country. I vividly remember the day that he left: My mother crying, frantically trying to call him… Then silence filled the household as time seemed to stop for the next few weeks. Everything around the house was left to dust and rot; I remember opening the fridge for some milk and seeing that it had gone bad and curdled. It was the first time in my life I had ever had that feeling of abandonment. It felt as if everything was quiet and dark, and the only place I could look into was myself. But being five, I easily forgot about the whole incident in a couple of months and went back to slurping on ice cream all day in the hot sun. Unlike me, my mother never really recovered. Many nights, she would take out that bottle from the high cupboard and tell me to go to bed. She told me that it was time for her to relax. Lying in my bed, I could never sleep. The bright moon shining into the skylight in my room combined with the smell of cigarette smoke coming from the patio out my window choked my senses, locking me in a state of utmost consciousness I could not escape.
            A couple of years ago, I saw my mother’s car roll into the driveway as usual. It was late in the afternoon, and I was doing my usual routine of pretending to finish my homework. On perfect lazy afternoons like these, the only thing I could really do was daydream, thinking of the sunlight gleaming through the orange leaves in the forest behind my house. This day was a lot different, however. As I stumbled out to the patio lazily to greet my mother, keeping my head low to avoid the glare of the sunlight, I noticed that there were two shadows this time, instead of just my mothers. Startled, I immediately shook myself awake and alert and looked up. Today, there was a man with my mother. After a quick and awkward handshake and an exchange of muffled “hello, how are you”, my mother told me to do my homework and I quickly obliged and ran back into my room.
            That man ended up living in our house. He was nice and I think he treated my mom nice, but I never really got to know him. He was always in the back yard, tending to the plants that he lovingly planted yearly. Whenever I would pass by him, he would avoid my eyes and mutter a quick hello, then get back to his work. Living with him, I began to notice small things about him.  For instance, I saw a few quite prominent scars on his arms and legs. I was always afraid to ask what they were, but I couldn’t resist the temptation and so one day I ran down to the garden and basically shouted the question to him. Flinching, he told me quietly and carefully that he had been mauled by a bear a decade prior while on a camping trip with his old family. The next part was quite a shocker: He told me that before the bear had attacked him, it had mauled and killed his wife and both of his twin sons, who were both aged two at that time. Not knowing what to say, I turned my heel and ran back to my room. I tried my best to forget about what I had learned that day, feeling as if bad news would only destroy my personal paradise.
            A couple of months ago, my mother and the man had called to the kitchen from my room. Yawning and rubbing my tired eyes, I stumbled over to the kitchen. Seeing their faces, I knew that this was going to be some serious news. I sat down. They started with a big breath, then the big news came: I was to have a baby brother. I sat there for a minute, blankly staring at their apprehensive faces. My mind was racing: What would it be like to have a baby brother?
            It turned out that only a couple of weeks later, more news came. We were moving to Mexico. The reason I do not know, however I was a bit skeptical about the changes this was going to bring to my life. I liked the sun here, it was a not to hot and it was constantly shining on me, warming my face. I liked the way the sun would go through the leaves outside my window as well. How would Mexico be? Nevertheless, I was ready to give it a try. This was a week ago.
            They left me there. I am alone now. A couple of hours ago, I woke up and saw that the house was abandoned. There was no sign of anyone else ever living here except a note on my desk. It was from my mother. Brief and to the point, the note explained that she was moving to some random place in the world with the man and would start a new life with my baby brother. I did not know what to think. As I am sitting here now, I still do not know what to think. Maybe I’ll take a walk outside…

            The sounds of the city in Mexico are so different than the sounds in my old neighborhood. In my old home, the only noises I heard were the chirping of birds and the constant ruffle of the leaves in the wind. Here, all I hear is the barking of dogs, sirens, and music playing in the background, always so upbeat. Walking down the street, the sun has started to shine on my face. The bright light pierces my eyes, digging into my brain: My head has begun to beat with in unison with my heart. I taste something salty, metallic. I put my hand to my mouth and then pull it back, taking a look. Seeing that my nose has started to bleed, I start to briskly walk towards the nearest public washroom. Finding it, I start washing my face, but the blood won’t stop flowing. The sink is red now, and I am beginning to feel a bit dizzy…My head is still beating. At least this dark and grimy public washroom blocks the harsh sunlight from my eyes. Hearing a high-pitched whimpering, I look back, startled. I see a tangled mess of fur in the back corner, near the urinal. Blood dripping on the dirty floor, I start taking steps towards the noise. Looking closer, I see that it is a dog, quite visibly unwell with multiple obvious wounds. A surge of feeling rushes into my heart as I feel the empathy I have for this poor, abandoned animal. As I reach to hold it and carry it, I lose my balance and strike my head against the urinal. Everything goes white.   

No comments:

Post a Comment